George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS: i have a 2001chevy suburban ls.

Customer Question

i have a 2001chevy suburban ls. the rear a/c blows warm air. i turned on the front a/c and felt the two tubes under the rear a/c panel, near the exhaust pipe on the outside and they are cold. i'm guessing i have a blocked tube that goes from the lines outside into the a/c unit. what do you think?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i loosened the the two bolts on the outside, underneath the rear a/c unit, near the tail pipe, and one of the bolts started to spray out a green liquid so i closed it. if i remove completely, will all the liquid spray out and i have to recharge the system. should this be more of an expert thing to do?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
The liquid is oil and dye, Don't open the system again.
It is getting good and cold on both lines at the rear?
Then both lines would not be cold unless you have flow. Does the door sound when you switch from heat to AC on the rear? I think you have an airflow problem not a refrigerant issue if both lines are cold.
Let me know how I can help you with this but there is not much that does not take special tools and training to do here.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tested again and only 1 line is getting cold. the larger aluminum tube is clearly colder. i didn't hear a door sound when switching.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, the lines should be within 5 degrees when the system charge is correct. How much leakage did you have? I think you are going to need a set of gauges to see how much is in the system, do you have those?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i loosened the one bolt, it sprayed for maybe 1 to 2 seconds. maybe a tablespoon, two at the most sprayed out.i don't have gauges. the front air is pumping out nice and cold.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, then you may have a valve for the refrigerant on the rear that needs to be replaced if the charge is correct (sounds close for the front but you do need to recover and recharge to be sure so it can be weighed. If the charge is correct and the rear hoses are not withiin 5 degrees at the evaporator core then you know the valve is not working correctly. It sounds like you are to the point the system needs to be recovered and recharged, let me know how I can help you with your question Thank you