Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevy caviler 2004 shuts off when down shifting

Customer Question

chevy caviler 2004 shuts off when down shifting
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Is the check engine light on or does it ever come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chevy Caviler 2004 shuts off when down shifting.
Car actually shuts off after driving 15 - 20 min. The car shuts off in traffic when slowing for a light or a stop. I drop to a lower gear and pop the clutch it restarts. It runs a little rough for a short time needs a little extra gas while idling at a light. After running a while it runs good again. I also stop the car and use the key to restart. Then all is fine. This is an intermediate problem. It happens randomly. The problem is hard to duplicate.
No Check Engine Light all lights are off, power steering is off it is as if you turn the car off when you slow for a stop.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to test fuel pressure during problem? The common things to cause this symptom is the fuel pump, crank shaft position sensor, or dirty throttle body. You can get some throttle body cleaner and use that with a rag to clean out throttle body good. If that doesn't help then monitor fuel pressure during problem, if fluxuating or low replace pump. If pressure stays steady replace the crankshaft position sensor. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you check fuel pressure? How do you check fuel pressure when this is random?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can keep gauge connected and watch pressure when it happens or connected it when problem starts. There is a special fitting that goes between fuel pressure rail and fuel line which most parts stores will barrow out for free. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will let you know.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks!