Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet van Express 3500: 2007 Chevrolet express 3500 front

Customer Question

2007 Chevrolet express 3500 front wheel cupping inside, loss of control on bumpy roads
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wheel hop
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waiti am assuming the inner tie rods and ball joints and basically everything in the front end has been inspected and is all tight ?was an alignment performed ? where caster and camber where checked and adjusted ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Alignment done,two months ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
do you still have the before and after alignment print outs ?are you 100 % sure the caster and camber where adjusted ?or was just the toe set ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just toe-in. Adjusted max. Not perfect.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
with new shocks and i am assuming the tires are good and there is NO play in the front end at all the caster - camber must be aligned nextthose 2 adjustments or alignment specs are very critical for steering stability and tire wearthe odds are having a real front end alignment done which caster and camber is adjusted to spec then the toe last will correct this issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The alignment was done before the new tires. I've checked the joints up on my lift and pried with bar. No up and down play. Inner ball joint seems to have a little play but not worn out. Truck has 220k miles. Bushings?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
but like you said the caster camber was not checked or aligned back to specit has to have the caster - camber adjusted next and see if it still does this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The word from the alignment guy was that he ran out of adjustment. I don't feel he was competent. I come from a racing and mechanic background. This one has me stumped. Truck is not hot-rodded. I'll replace the inner tie rod end and seek a new alignment guy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
it needs the caster camber checked next if the caster and camber can not be adjusted into spec because the adjustments MAX out before you get to sec the only thing left is the bushings in the control arms