Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I'm having issues with my '00 Chevy Silverado 4.3. When I first

Customer Question

I'm having issues with my '00 Chevy Silverado 4.3. When I first start it up in the mornings it sputters/chokes out when I press the gas pedal. I usually just ease it down the road until it warms up, and then the problem goes away. I only happens in the morning. The rest of the day it starts up/runs fine no matter how long it sits between startups. What could this be? Fuel pump? Spark plugs/wires/distributor? I'm not sure.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
this is very hard to say right now exactly what is causing this issuebut i will say the 2 big things that will cause this issue are a bad fuel pump or plugged fuel filter OR a bad cap and rotorcan you get this to act up and when it acts up can you connect a fuel pressure gauge to the test port back top of engine on the fuel line next the drivers side of the distributor area and when its acting up key ON engine OFF if the fuel pressure is below 60 PSI or drops to 0 within a second or twp replace the fuel filter if it still shows under 60 PSI replace the fuel pumpif the fuel pressure will hold at 60 PSI when its acting up usually replacing the cap and rotor will correct this type of issueassuming no check engine light on or codes in the computer it should be one of those 2 causing this issue