Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2 cars same problems. 2006 equinox 3.4 and a 2002 Malibu

Customer Question

2 cars same problems. 2006 equinox 3.4 and a 2002 Malibu 3.1. lifter noise at startup and at running temperature, seems like one maybe two lifters. new lifters and the rocker arms are not stripped. the lash on all the rocker arms are tight just like they
should be. very clean oil in each. the noise is definitely going camspeed not crank speed as a piston slap would. one thing I did notice is in the Equinox when I put brand new lifters in it I did not see any cam issues but when I started it it seemed like
it took about 5 to 10 seconds for all the lifters to pump up. also something interesting when I drain the oil and put straight diesel fuel in it the noise disappears on the equinox. but starts to come back with oil. is there anything I'm missing here, possible
oil pressure issue or dirty lifter journals?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist
the lifters are draining down over time and some are not pumping up. it is common for these lifters to have issues.
what I would try first is to add some lifter treatment to see if there is any varnish in the lifter causing the lifter to malfunction.
if that does not help, then the lifters would have to be replaced.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The equinox has all new lifters in it. No bent push rods. And rocker arms are tight. All lash is tight as it should. Still sounds like a dead lifter.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok, the other possibility is the camshaft itself. it may have worn lobes.
the other possibility is the oil pump. you may have pressure but not enough to keep the lifters pumped up.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you seen the oil pump do this before? Common?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
yes, I have replaced any pumps. debris in the bottom of the pan restricts picking up the proper amount of oil. you wont know this until you drop the pan and inspect.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0w20 oil definitely made the nosie quieter. Any thoughts on that?
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
that oil has a higher flow rate especially when cold.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll pull the pan in the morning
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
I am here
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I been working on the malibu 3.1. New oil pump, new lifters, no cam issues. Stright push rods. No loose rocker arms. Still one lifter making noise. I've been wrenching on these motors for years and I'm stumped.
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
do you know which lifter is making noise???
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. The nosie disappears with a little throttle. I started really cranking on the throttle last night and when it went back down to idle the noise went away and it started missing like the lifter pumped up too much. Then ran fine, then started making some noise. Could there be a cam issue that's not really visible to the eye
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
I doubt it. it sounds like you have a bad new lifter.
what brand were they???
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were from autozone I'm not at the shop I cant tell you the brand name on the box
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like one is not working correctly
Roy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
how are you making out????
Roy