Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Express 2500: . I have a 2000 chevy express

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2000 chevy express van. Sometimes when I go to start it, I turn the key and the lights come on as usual, but when I turn to crank nothing happens. I release back to run and lights come back as usual. Not a battery problem or starter prob as if I wait a few minutes I can start vehicle no prob. When this happens there is not security light. So I don't know what computer is telling the van not to start ... Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
this is a 2000 ?with a 4.3 engine or a 5.7 V8 engine in it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 2009 with a 4.8 v8.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
and all you do is turn the key off then back to crank and it will crank right up like nothing is wrong ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes after I wait for a few minutes most of the time. Sometimes after a go from crank back to run the lights will come back on it will ding a few times then say service air bags. When this happens I have to wait an hour or so for it to reset and work again or sometimes what seems to work is pulling the bcm fuses and putting them back in. Disconnecting the battery does not seem to help. No air bag prob cuz I don't change anything and it will be ok. Seems like a waiting game. Once the van is running there are never any issues with things not working as they should...
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
this sure has all the signs of a bad ignition switch or BCM causing this problemcan you see if there are nay codes set in the ECM and the BCM ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first I thought it was a bad ignition switch, however I have an start installed in the vehicle and when this problem happens the command start is unable to start the vehicle. It experiences the same prob as if I was using the key. It tries three times then quits. I will check for codes however there is not service engine light on. Does that matter? Can there still be codes stored?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
it can hold codes in the history yes as long as the battery was not unhooked
at this point we really need to see if there are any codes in either module and if not with a scan tool see if the BCM will communicate with the scan tool and see on the live data list of the BCM and ECM if there is a crank request when the key is held to crank and that the BCM knows the ignition key is in the on position or basically see if the power modeing is acurate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I did a scan and there are no codes. However, my vehicle has not done the no start since I last unhooked the battery. I am sure it will do it again tomorrow, so I will keep my scan tool with me and copy the codes if any. Where is my bcm located? Is it in the cab on the passenger side under the knee panel? Can it just be swapped out with new or does it require programming if swapped out...?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the BCM requires it to be re programmedok let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the vehicle did not do the no sart today. Can the bcm be reprogrammed with a tech2 tool? If I was to replace the bcm could I do the programming with the tech2 tool...?