BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Equinox LT: ! I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox, and

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox, and today it overheated for the first time, but it did cool down once I turned off the AC. I thought maybe low on coolant, so I topped it off. I drive home and it was fine the whole way until I put it in park at home and it spiked and the temp light popped on. Any suggestions or ideas before I take it to a mechanic? The fan does run, and stays running even after the engine turns off.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. If it did need a lot of coolant, like 1/2 a gallon or more, then it may be a leak in the water pump or a hose. If it did not take much coolant then that may not be the issue. It sounds like it may simply have a sticking thermostat or possibly a coolant flow issue from a worn water pump. Hopefully you do not have a head gasket issue. From what you are explaining you may be lucky and have just a thermostat failure. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, when i added coolant I did not need much to top it off. How would I check the thermostat or water pump myself? Or is that something a mechanic would have to do?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
They are kind of hard to check without the right tools. Do you happen to have an infrared temperature gun? If so that would help.