K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Chevrolet Tahoe LS: K. Wiggins, I have very nice cold

Customer Question

Hello K. Wiggins,
I have very nice cold air under hot and humid outdoor conditions with plenty of pull down capacity, but when the underhood engine temp seems to get real hot, the compressor drops out. (It comes back to life and works great after the vehicle cools down overnight.) I replaced the compressor discharge high pressure switch and the accumulator comp cycling switch, but that did not do it. I see in the Haynes manual that there is also a "A/C automatic recirculating switch". Could that be the problem? If so, where is it. The Tahoe is 12 years old and have had absolutely no problems with the A/C so I do not mind swapping out switches as you can see. All underdash AC blend doors and functions are good.
I thinking it could be a clutch going bad or that above switch. Your thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, this sounds like a clutch coil that has a bad winding. At higher temperature the resistance goes up causing the coil to disengage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about that "automatic recirc switch" that I mentioned. What is the purpose of that device? It's shown in the Haynes wiring diagram.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
That works when the HVAC is in automatic mode to control the length of time cabin air is recirculated. It alternates between recirculating the already conditioned cabin air and allowing in some fresh air. It's purpose is to help regulate temperature as well. When the air is being recirculated it's easier to cool the already conditioned cabin air to achieve lower temperatures on very hot days. On cooler days it will automatically cycle more fresh air into the cabin.
If you put the AC in full manual mode it is bypassed.