K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

2005 chevy K3500 pickup 6.6 liter automatic trans cooling

Customer Question

2005 chevy K3500 pickup 6.6 liter automatic trans cooling issue it runs at 212 degress replaced upper rad hose replaced waterpump thoroughly cleaned all radiators and trans cooler and intercooler , replaced both thermostats and still runs 212 degrees without pulling a trailer It seems a bit warm too me or is this normal temp ??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is perfectly normal and acceptable. What makes it possible to run this hot and up to around 220 which is safe intermittently is the pressurization of the cooling system by the radiator cap. Each PSI of pressure is worth about 2 degrees above boiling.
In short anything under 220-225 is acceptable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mm OK I guess I'm confused on thermostats of 185degrees and it runs 20 degrees warmer than set point of them
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
You might want to look into your fan clutch. I mistook it running 212 as with pulling not without, my apologies. The fan clutch should engage at around 195-197. If you can't feel more airflow from the fan and hear the louder noise from engagment go ahead and replace it
I run a 180 in my personal work truck and without a load in outside temperatures below 90 it runs right at 185. With outside temps above 90 it runs around 200 and with a load (car trailer) around 210