Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Voltage regulator keeps showing that it is bad. I replaced

Customer Question

voltage regulator keeps showing that it is bad. I replaced the alternator and battery.
start the gauge goes past 14; then when you drive it for a while it drops down to 12 1/2 volts, shut it off; and start it up and it goes back past 14.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitcan you tell me the year and model and engine size ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008 Chevy Avalanche
5.3 l
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
changing the alternator and battery made NO difference at all either way ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for 1 day and it went back to the same: could it be the remote start?
a couple weeks ago the horn started going off and the only way to stop it was to take the fuse out for horn..... took it to Wilson Chevrolet, where we bought it and they couldn't find the problem.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
with the alternator and battery being new these type of issues end up being a computer issue with the ECM or the BCM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
the best action to have the ECM and BCM programming updated first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is ECM & BCM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ECM is the engine control module which runs the engine and the BCM is the body control computer which runs most of the inside things the ECM tells the alternator when to charge and how much to charge off of load inputs it receives and the BCM will tell the ECM when other loads are turned on in the truck so the ECM will up the charging
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
usually updating the programming with a programming scan tool of the ECM and BCM is the next stepif it still acts up then the wires from the alternator to the ECM need to be checked next if those wires check out then either replacing the ECM or BCM would be next