GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet 2003: Dan. I have a 2003 Chevy Avalanche and

Customer Question

Hi Dan. I have a 2003 Chevy Avalanche and I'm having some issues with a battery drain. This has been going on since I acquired the car in 2009. At first I thought it was related to winter weather but as the summer months have come around I've noticed that the drain has gotten worse. I decided to check to see if there was a drain of sorts by unhooking my battery in between trips and at night for a week. I confirmed that there was a drain as the battery cranks just fine using this method. Next, I drove the vehicle a good distance and tested the battery and alternator. Both of these tests came back with great results as well. Finally, I tested the circuits in the vehicle. I've noticed that there are a LOT of circuits that still pull power after the ignition to the vehicle have been switched all the way off. I wrote down all the circuits that maintained power. So, what would be my best course of action to fixing this problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry your having this problemthe alternator was tested good for volts and amp's ? the battery tested good for volts and CCA ( cold cranking amps ) and for bad cells ?do you have access to a good multi meter that will read milli amps ? and draw over .50 milli amps is too much of a drawhow long will it take for the battery to be dead or very low when the truck sits ?