Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax: my 2008 Duramax (2500

Customer Question

my 2008 Duramax (2500 HD)indicated last Friday that it needed a new fuel filter (engine light - "change fuel filter" - "engine Power reduced" was the sequential readout on my dash. That filter was new just last fall but the truck since then put maybe 6,000 miles on it, highway, towing a horse trailer. I'm on a trip with horses, from Ohio to SW Arkansas (son is a Civil War reenactor). We changed the fuel filter just south of Nashville TN last Friday. The truck made it just a few minutes down the road when all the same indicators on the heads-up display repeated themselves and just in time for the next exit at Dickson, TN. There was a GMC dealership at that exit so I pulled in. They "removed that cheap Chinese fuel filter and put in a new one." The one my hauling friends put in was a Fram from Auto Zone, so I didn't ask questions, just went with this report until I got the $431 bill. I'll skip that part... this expensive new filter (which I was told by the Andrews GMC salesman was also a Fram filter)and headed down the highway. The truck lasted 8 miles. ... a young man at a rest stop told me to remove the ground terminal from the battery on the passenger side of the truck. That put the truck back to its excellent self and I got 360 miles down the road before the indicators on my dash went thru the same three steps. The last 130 miles this happened 5 times, each time I just pulled over and reset the ground terminal to the battery. When I do this, that truck runs like I just bought it, it is so strong and smooth and perfect. I'm in Hope, Arkansas and the truck is at a GMC dealership. They say I have a bad injector and that the part can be here Tuesday/tomorrow. I was with dozens of civil war reenactor men over the past week and many of them have diesel trucks etc and every one says if the truck runs smoothly it cannot be an injector. What can I do? I cannot afford to be taken advantage of, I love and need that truck, I am not a rich person at all and I am 700 miles from home.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Your first stop at the GMC dealer was 4 minutes from my house, so was the rest stop. The computer monitors the fuel pressure spec at the injector pump to determine the status on the filters restriction. I too agree that an injector just not seem likely here, more so a concern wit ha sensor or the injector pump. Any trouble codes stored? You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris