Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

Chevrolet Impala LS: I have a 2000 impala with 340,000+ miles

Customer Question

I have a 2000 impala with 340,000+ miles and the other night when i came out of a store, it refused to crank. Only the check engine light comes on and the relay on the drivers side of the dash clicks but no response from under the hood. I pulled the starter relay and manually by passed it and the engine cranked and ran for about a second or maybe two seconds. I can repeat this over and over. I replaced the bcm with NO Change. What shall I do?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing can be caused by any of the following,
Ignition Switch
Park/Neutral Switch
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Malfunctioning Security System
Starter Relay
In order to determine what is failing you are going to need to do some testing starting with a scan. See the steps in the link below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Security%20scan%20Jun%2015.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron,
I am only able to work on this issue a little bit in the evenings due to my job.
You said:
1. Scan test the Body Control Module and check for security system problem causing a no-crank condition.
I had already replaced the BCM with no change.
2. You said If no data is available, jumper the starter motor or the relay and crank the engine. If it runs, it is not a security
system problem. If it starts and stalls, run the engine on alternate fuel and monitor security indicator. It should go out
with the engine running.
I had already manually by-passed the start relay under the hood, and the engine started and ran for 1 to 20 seconds. I can apply power to the pole on the relay that energizes the relay with the relay partially plugged in and the engine cranks. Therefore I know the relay is good and the start circuit is good.
3. You said If the security light stays on or is blinking, a scan tool will be needed to communicate with the BCM.
My security light never comes on since this problem started. Only the check engine light comes on when I turn the key on.
I have replaced the BMC, the Ignition Switch and checked all the fuses. I think it is very relevant that my security light never comes on and none of the other lights like the airbag light come on. I did the relearn process that has to be done when replacing the ignition switch or BMC and never during the process does the security light come on.
Thanks,Dale
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems strange to me that replacing the BCM made no change and then when I changed the ignition switch no change occurred. The vehicle acts exactly as it did with the original parts.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I would agree but unfortunately with out having any fault codes to go its going t be next to impossible for me to diagnose this over the internet. I can open the question back up for you in hopes someone else may have something to add if you would like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you would be so kind, maybe someone has seen the same symptom. There are no OBDII codes and I don't have access to any other scan tools at this time.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
I have relisted the question for you as of yesterday, if some one can help the will respond back to you, please don't post back to me as it re -locks the question to me and other can not respond if the have something different to offer.