Randy
Randy, Computer Technician
Experience:  SERVICE AND REPAIR TECHNICIAN
62741268

Bobby can the ac lines and evaporator be flushed while

Customer Question

hello bobby can the ac lines and evaporator be flushed while not the van. I know that the condenser can not be flushed because the tubes in the condenser are to small but does the evaporator have the same construction problem. I am looking into a shop
that has the machine to flush lines and evaporator because non of the parts stores in baltimore have the machine to rent or loan dana fisher
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified automotive professional with over 25 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.
Most condenser designs can be flushed and cleaned well. On many late
model applications using parallel flow or piccolo tube design, tube passages are very small.
Depending on the contamination and debris within the condenser, it may be impossible to clean them properly and they may have to be replaced.
When flushing the evaporator( only do it in extreme cases of serious contamination) you have to remove it from the vehicle so that the component can be manipulated to move the solvent throughout and allow for complete draining of all oil and flush solvent. Due to the design configurations of evaporators, it is almost impossible to “blow out” all of the oil and flush solvent when they are mounted in the vehicle. After vigorous flushing, leave the evaporator open to atmosphere for at least 24 hours. Leaving an open flow of pressurized gas (air or
nitrogen) running through the evaporator will help to evaporate any solvent that may be trapped. Whenever flushing the evaporator, plan to vacuum the system for at least 2-3 hours.
These can be flushed> High side liquid hose – from the condenser to :
The receiver drier (and then the hose from the drier to the expansion valve)
High side liquid hose – from the condenser to the orifice tube. This will depend on the design of the particular system you are flushing. If you face severe contamination (dark or black oil) it is recommended that you flush the evaporator also.
High side liquid hose – from the condenser to :>Suction hose attached to the compressor.
*
.
.
Was this step helpful? Please reply if you need more help.
.
.
.
.
.
Please let me know if this does not work for you or if you need any other assistance.
.
.
.
After we have your issue resolved please take a moment to rate my service positively.
Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i tell the amount of contamination in the system. the van is a 2002 chev venture with rear air but not separate controls just vents. will this help you determine my first question better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the van only has 55,000 miles on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another question: If the system was exposed to outside air but not drive would that allow contamination of the system
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
yes, the contamination will only be moisture though. This sounds like you should be able to flush those lines and the evaporator. When there is heavy contamination it is from a compressor that has leaked for a long time and lost lubrication oil and it has a lot of metal in the system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
randy
there is more and i think talking to you would be easier. but let me back up an start the problem from the beginning.
the fitting not at the compressor was leaking so i had a person that i thought knew what he was doing but i know he took it apart did not cap the lines and took several days to put it back together. had the system recharged at a NTB. air was great but by the next day no air. took it bak to ntb and when they charged the system R 134 came leaking out of the compressor.. the compressor is shot because the the bearing on the compressor is squealing like a pig. now what do you think about my question and the can i have the evaporator and lines flushed.
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
this sounds like you will only need to replace the compressor and the dryer and then vacuum the system down for three to four hours. Then recharge the system with freon. There was probably moisture in the system the first time.