GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Trailblazer LS: I am trying to change the blend door

Customer Question

I am trying to change the blend door actuator on the drivers side of a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. I am a novice at under the dash repairs. Does the whole dash need to come out to get to this part? I have taken apart most of the dash so far and it seems to be impossible. Please Help!!!
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The AC blows cold, but only through the top and bottom floor vents. AC wont blow through the main vents and it is hot here in New Orleans, Louisiana. Was told that the Blend Door Actuator is not working, so i purchased a new one but cant get the old one out.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
When you say blend door, please confirm which blend door. is it the temp blend door for the drivers side, passengers side or the mode door actuator that you need to change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on the drivers side and is the one on the top. I am sure it is the mode door actuator. I have tested all the others and i can see the center hole piece turn on each except for the mode door actuator. The AC wont blow out the main vents. I can see the hole piece turn on the others when you adjust the temp and also the one on the passenger side. The highest one on the driver side is the one that needs to be fixed. It is not turning. I believe it is the MODE DOOR ACTUATOR but is listed as just blend door actuator on the parts list at Autozone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any videos that can help me? I have found many on youtube but not for my year and the others are much easier to get to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh sorry Cam, I am Mark.
Mark, first off I am sorry for delays, I am battling poor internet this morning. .
This repair does require much of the dash to be removed and that starts with the Center console.
Below are a couple links for an envoy which is the same for the ip carrier replacement which needs to be moved to complete this repair.
Then the cover or dash pad.
Follow through this document and then you can gain access to the actuators for replacement.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekhqkdsrpaxamwp/ip%20carreier%20envoy.pdf?dl=0
Copy that link to your browsers and find the file in Dropbox. Let me know if this helps. Meanwhile I will try to correct my internet issue and be able to respond faster.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow, this is going to take some help on my end. Just looked at the schematics you sent and i have to take apart the steering column, which is what I was hoping not to do. So i have a mechanic friend coming by to help. Please bare with me as I will be returning to ask you questions periodically. Thanks Cam.
Much of it is moving things around, dropping some parts and such. Your friend should be able to also look and make more sense of it. These are a pain to change as you have found so far. !!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not really understanding the schematics you sent. They are much different than my car and its in black and white so its hard to follow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is starting to look obvious that I will need to bring this car in to a Chevy dealership to fix this issue. This is much beyond my capabilities and the drawings you sent are much different than what I am doing. I have taken out a lot of bolts and the dash still isnt coming apart. If I go much farther I will never be able to get it all back together. Why do they make plastic parts that fall apart soooo hard to get to. This is obviously a common problem because my father owns a Hummer H2 and his AC is having the same problem. Also, after looking on the internet, I see hundreds of people that are having the same problem with the AC.
The actuators are in most of these years very common for failure and very difficult to replace. I do find many customers and even new techs overwhelmed by the complexity of the repair. There are many things wrapped around these and it's a very complicated puzzle. I understand this is not an expense you wanted but if I may, you are wise to know when it's beyond your ability.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not able to use the drawings and am having car towed to mechanic. Do i still have to pay for this service. Dont want to give a bad rating or anything like that. Just dont think I should pay for something not being used. Thank you.
I appreciate your willingness to avoid a negative rating. I will put you in touch with customer service. Thank you and good luck.