Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Express 1500 LT: I have a 97 Chevy express van with

Customer Question

I have a 97 Chevy express van with a 5.7 it was missing at idle so I found that the ignition coil and wires were arc inc and I just went ahead and changed the spark plugs now it runs good at idle and when I slowly accelerant but if I floor it it falls on its face
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you
so,,you did a complete tune up,, replaced the plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap?
please explain
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes which it did make the miss go away but if I punch it it bogs down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also my check engine light is on but when I hook up my scanner it won't link to vehicle
ok
tell me,,do you have a fuel pressure test gauge?how much fuelpressure do you have at idle and when giving it throttle?
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a fuel pressure tester I'll have to either get one or borrow one
ok..
get one and test the fuel pressure,,these must have no less than 60psi at all times..from the way you explain,it sounds as if you may need to replace the fuel pump..it sounds as if the pressure is too low,,so test it to confirm
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ill get one in the morning and test fuel pressure do you know why my scanner won't link to vehicle
you may have a blown fuse..or.it may just be the scanner..sometimes one scanner will connect and another may not,,try another scanner
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok hopefully the fuse cuz O'Reilly scanner didn't work and neither will mine what fuse would it be
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe6rd5ex4kgqorm/0614-chevy-van-Close%20Window.doc?dl=0
.
if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way
thanks
.
www.dropbox.com/s/qe6rd5ex4kgqorm/0614-chevy-van-Close%20Window.doc?dl=0
.
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I replaced oil pressure switch and at idle it fluctuates from 0-15 once I start driving it stays 30-45
ok
this tells me the engine is worn some,,the main bearings are loosing a little oil pressure,,this isnt too bad for a chevy with a few miles on it
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So should I use Lucas and like 20/50 oil to help engine out
i would use a little thicker oil in the summer such as 20/50...
thanks