SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience
10552493

Chevrolet Impala SS: 06 Impala SS ... 175,000 miles, fuel gauge

Customer Question

06 Impala SS ... 175,000 miles, fuel gauge has been out for the past nine months.
Check engine light on, can't pass emissions test with light on. Service tech replaced gas cap but light still on, he says they need to drop the fuel tank and repair faulty gauge/sensor...$1000.00. Don't have the money. Is there another way to get that light to go out? Without the emissions test, the state will suspend my registration. Now what?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I will do my best to answer your question.You can clear the engine light with a cheap hand held scan tool.It should stay off for a couple of days before the engine light comes back on , because of the evap leak you have.You could also have the engine light cleared by having it checked at an auto parts store.The employees are not suppose to clear the code,but if you tip them I'm sure they will.