GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 HD: I do HVAC living and im

Customer Question

I do HVAC for a living and im trouble shooting my ac in my truck its a 2002 silverado 1500Hd 6.0 Lq9 i have gagues and the adapters for my truck lines. After a minuteof running it starts to blow hot air. I have 100 psi when the compressor is not running and it goes down to 50 when the compressor is running. the line coming out by the accumulator gets cold and sweats. there is a flare fitting past that switch or sensor that is on the line. on the other side of that line it is hot any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
Is this up closer to the accumulator? Is there a threaded nut there? If so that is the spot in the line where the orifice tube is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
the compressor pumps down to 25psi than cuts off
Low Pressure switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
How hi does the hi side get?
How often is it cycling on and off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cant find my fitting for hi side but it is cycling on an doff every 45 seconds i would say
I'm starting to wonder if your issue isn't the actuator the controls the mode door? It sounds like your air conditioning compressor is working properly. On the bottom of the heater case just above the transmission pump is a small plastic actually, let's remove that and turn the shaft my hand to see if you can get cold air.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well that was not the problem still not sure whats going on
How much of a charge is inside your system right now then? Are you able to recover and weigh how much is in there?
With the compressor cycling, albeit not often enough suggests the electronics are working. I am left thinking it may be too low on charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for charging me though
I have not charged you anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the last comment it was not made by me. I appreciate everything your doing to help me. I will reclaim the gas tonight and see how much is in the system. What is the right charge for this system?
Is there any issues?
Your charge level should be 1.8 lbs R134A.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i figured it out i had a restriction in my accumulator. Replaced that and blew out the lines with nitrogen lots of oil wa in the evaporator. I will probably end up getting a new evap down the road but for bow replacing the accumulator and pulling a good vaccum seemed to do the trick thanks for all your help
No problem. When you replace it, add 2oz PAG oil per device so 2 for the evaporator, 2 for the accumulator and so on.