Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

My 2005 taho has a dead battery every morning and the air bag

Customer Question

My 2005 taho has a dead battery every morning and the air bag light is on.
also the tighten gas cap light comes on occasionally
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. How many miles are on the vehicle ? How far and often do you drive it each day ? Will you fix yourself ? Battery drains are best left to a shop , let me know how you want to proceed and I will surely help. Lou
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
225,000 milesI put in a new battery
something is drawing power.
what could it be ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plan to fix myselfI will drive anywhere from 10 miles a day to 200
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
ok, battery draw can be anything, first the obvious, do you have anything aftermarket installed in the car? radio, alarm, phone chargers, dvd, ?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
here is how you test for a battery draw, vehicle must be all doors open and latched so the car thinks its closed, same with hood and trunk, then lock the car while the ammeter and wire are installed and give the car 30 minutes to sleep.
1. Select the highest amp scale on an ammeter and disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Install the ammeter between the battery and the battery cable. A jumper wire needs to be connected in parallel to the ammeter to reconnect the battery at the same time the meter remains installed. Both the ammeter and a jumper wire are connecting the battery cable to the battery at this time. This allows the vehicle to power down (go to sleep).
3. Wait 30 minutes. Turn the ammeter on. Remove the jumper wire, being sure that the ammeter does not come disconnected. This is now the actual vehicle's battery drain.
4. If the draw is more than 50 mA (.050 Amps), remove the fuses one at a time to locate the source of the drain. Leave the fuses out until draw is isolated, as reinstalling may reset timers and give a false draw.
5. Consult a wire diagram to disconnect each component that is fed by the fuse causing the draw. If it is a computer causing the draw, check for signals into the computer that may be waking it up (handle switches, etc.).
top draws that i have found are , instrument cluster, radio, rear wiper motor, and also make sure you test the alternator.
air bag light will need a code to diagnose, as for the gas cap the same, need a code but most common are gas cap, vent valve for canister, and purge valve, hope this helps . only way to fix battery draw is to do the actual test and narrow down the circuit that is causing the draw. hope this helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ
Keep in mind that rating me does not end the chat, it simply credits me for assisting, i will still be here to help if follow up information is needed , Lou.