BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

We have a 2005 Malibu that broke down a week ago. Mechanic

Customer Question

We have a 2005 Malibu that broke down a week ago. Mechanic said it was the alternator. Replaced it and everything initially seemed fine. Now when car is first started the battery appears to be overcharging as there is a very small amount of acid spitting out and it read 18 volts. After the car runs for a few minutes the voltage levels out to about 14.5 and the battery spitting stops. What could the problem be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. It sounds like you have a defective alternator. It is overcharging when first started. Besides the alternator it can be due to the wrong battery being installed in the vehicle. If the battery is too small then it will be improperly charged. I am suspecting the alternator though. I would take it back to the mechanic and have him check and replace it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We exchanged the alternator thinking that was the issue and the same thing happened again.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
What size battery is in the car? How does the connector at the alternator look?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way I can send you a picture?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Yes, either attach it here or post it to mediafire.com and send me the link.