Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4: Compressor clutch engages fine, but blows

Customer Question

Compressor clutch engages fine, but blows hot air. I checked the pressure and it was about 100 psi and every time clutch engages, pressure stays the same on low side. I relieved pressure in the line and tried to recharge, but after a few seconds, psi was already from 35 to 100 psi after a small amount of refrigerant was put in. I am stumped and hot. Please help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
It would help to know the high pressure side reading with compressor engaged to be able to eliminate or confirm that the compressor is weak or not.
But with just a low side reading, and it being 100psi with compressor engaged, there are only two possible causes - orifice tube clogged or compressor is weak internally and suction side and possibly pump side not operating properly.
Without the high pressure side, it is simply impossible to diagnose it between the orifice tube and the compressor. This is why using full set of ac manifold gages is critical in pinpoint diagnosis
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks