Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2002 duramax front drive shaft blew and punched home in

Customer Question

2002 duramax front drive shaft blew and punched home in tranny pulled shift shaft out and broke off inside. pulled valve body and die ground side of valve port and pushed remaining shifter shaft out at first jb welded inside of pressure port and all mating
surfaces are free of jb weld. found a better compound designed for cases and engines called belzona. it is a two compounds you mix and place on surface to seal case. machinable compound. very strong. going to reseal inner valve port by back of shift shaft
and seal case around shift shaft seal and drill out ends of cracks and v out case for better sealing. heard many people that have patched cases with jb weld and this belzona compound is much better. pretty sure its going to work. what are your thoughts im
only worried about heating and contracting in the case vs the heating and contracting in the compound. what are your thoughts will this work? and tips in the repair process? im pretty confident it will work. oh and the crack is on the bottom drop part of the
case its not on the central part of the case that surrounds the planetaries. so i need to seal port behind shifter shaft to hold clutch pressure and the case from lube pressure. any thoughts or info on this repair would be greatly appreciated. fyi im a licenced
H.D. mechanic. thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
I have only used the 24 hour JB weld in the case and it works well but its not permanent. Temp and oil eventually effects it. I clean the surface using brake cleaner, then rough it up with 20 grit or a scratch awl.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris