BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Silverado: I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 turbo

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 turbo diesel that occasionally dies at low speed after driving it several minutes. This has occurred about 2 times in the last year until recently when this happened 2 times in a week. No lights come on and my repairman says there are no codes on his computer. After I let the truck sit for a few minutes and grind on the starter for a long time the truck starts.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if there is much smoke from the tail pipe before or after this occurs? How many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the car stop I was not expecting it and did not look to see if there was any smoke before or after. there is only 68000 miles on the truck.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
I know that there is no codes but is the check engine light coming on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It sounds like you may have an ignition switch that is acting up or possibly a bad fuel pressure sensor. Both of these are common on this truck and will not always set a code when failing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem with the ignition switch and the fuel pressure relief valve was replaced. Does this model have a fuel pressure sensor?
One key symptom is that I have to crank the starter for a long time after I let the truck, sit for a minute or two. After I crank it for 10 to 15 seconds it starts right up
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Have you attempted to prime the fuel system when this happens to see if it will start faster? If it does then you may have a restriction in the tank. It is common to get build up in there that will cause this. It can also be a loose line drawing in air.