Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

1999 chevy astro van with 4.3L automatic 2wheel drive, air

Customer Question

1999 chevy astro van with 4.3L automatic 2wheel drive, air and power. Father-in-law took vehicle to repair shop with engine knocking at idle speed. Was told the engine was trashed. I went to repair shop and installed drain plug and new filter and 70w oil.
it started with 40psi at idle. drove it slowly 6 miles to home. When fully warm the oil pressure drops to about 14 at idle but increases quickly with engine rpm. removed pan and noted that inside of engine was relatively clean for 140K miles. checked rod bearings
by moving rods by hand and noted no unusual play. no metal noted in oil when drained. Installed new oil pump but did not change symptoms. Please advise Jim
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist
70 weight is way too much. you will starve the cam bearing for oil on start up from the thickness of the oil
I would drop the pan again and drop some of the mains and check with plastic gauge to verify clearances. you need .001 to a max of .002 to have adequate oil pressure.
Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will drop pan tomorrow and get back to you with findings. thanks, Jim
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.
ok