Bill
Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician
50714430

THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE IS ON ZERO COLD AND THE FANS ARE WORKING

Customer Question

THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE IS ON ZERO COLD AND THE FANS ARE WORKING ALL THE TIME.ON MY CHEVY MALIBU 2001 I CHECK THE COOLER SENSOR ON THE BLOCK AND THE COOLANT SENSOR ON THE RESERVOIR IS NEW , DO YOU THINK THE SENSOR ON THE BLOCK COULD BE THE PROBLEM ?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it could be that the gauge has a short ...or a fuse blow.... but I understand that the hole cluster works together with just one fuse
is any way to check those points
Thank you
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
with the key ON engine off the fans will run ?
if so unplug the 2 wire coolant temo sensor in the intake manifold near the thermostat housing and with a paper clip or wire jump the 2 terminals in the connector you unplugged will the temp gauge read maxed out or full hot ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the key on aren't working
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
with the connector terminals jumped with the key ON what is the gauge reading ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is dead
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know which connection goes or make work the gauge from ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and why the fans work all the time ??
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.
Different expert here. Do you still need assistance with this concern and have you scanned the vehicle's computers for stored fault codes?
Thanks
Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeas I did they said is the temperature sensor and the coolant I changed both and nothing happen the gauge is zero cold and the fans on even at the morning when I started the car cold
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Did you get a fault code description? These can often be misdiagnosed if it was a P0128. Also was the fault code cleared? It's important to know what fault code was stored.
Thanks
Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see the point if was misdiagnosed the problem is the temperature gauge
is zero cold and the fans are working all the time.the two first scans first was coolant sensor, was replace, second temperature sensor on the block , it was replace too. do you know were is the sensor who starts the fans?
Thank you
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
There is a reason I'm asking for specific information. Do you know the fault code that was stored? There are several related to engine temperature. The ecm turns on the fans based on the temperature reading from one coolant temperature sensor. That being said, if certain fault codes are stored, it will default the gauge to zero and turn the fans on. That is why I need to know the stored fault code. Can you have it scanned and let me know what is stored? If you don't have a scan tool, many auto parts stores will do this for you at no charge. I know the system well and am trying to help resolve your issue.
Thanks again
Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to scanned today and thanks for the explanation of the fans and the gauge, as soon I have I'll let you know
Thank you
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
I'm betting we're going to find a p0128
Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check it this morning and is not default code just said that we can have tree issues: 1 failing thermostat , 2 ect bad conection, 3 coolant level which I check it and is ok, and the reservoir sensor , and the thermal sensor on the block, both has been change, I'm going to check the electrical input and output for the sensor on the block, but my question do you think that an open thermostat can send the signal to keep the fans all ways running ??? when is hot is understandable..but when is dead cool???
now do you think that I have to change the thermostat?
thank you
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Generally all these symptoms are caused by a po128 stored. What is the temperature sensor reading on the scan tool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to check it again on my lunch brake
thanks
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to check with the scaner and shows: po118 and I check all , then po 128 just the thermostat I need to check but looks like is working fine, then my friend told me to disconnect the battery for a while , and now everything is working normal , gauge and fans normally !!! if the check engine lite again I'm going to check which code shows, but what I recall is that the temperature gauge went down zero cold first , then I bridged the thermal sensor connector on the block with a paper clip and is when the check engine light came out.
I'll keep you posted
Thank you
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
That is what I would expect. The p0128 was the issue all along as that can only be set during a warm up. The p0118 you set during testing. The thermostat is the issue and has been all along.