Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LS: 2004 chevy silverado 2500 hd.I

Customer Question

2004 chevy silverado 2500 hd.I turn the key and everything works except the truck won't start..battery is good but i have nothing to the starter...left it alone till this morning and it started right up then shut it off and now nothing but accessory.just put new ignition in today still nothing to turn it over
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Could be that the starter has a "hot spot" in the armature.
Take a test light or volt meter and see if it has power at the purple wire on the starter solenoid when someone is trying to start it. (key in start position)
If it does, then the starter is bad.
Also if there is power at the purple wire you can take a hammer and smack the side of the starter while someone is trying to start it and it will jar the brushes off the hot spot and start. But it still would need a new starter 'cause it will happen again.
If it doesnt have power at that wire when trying to start it just reply back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having it towed.. And will ask mechanic about this solution... Thanks for your help
You are welcome.
I really think it will end up being the starter.
Please take a moment and rate my service
Thank you
LJ