Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Chevrolet: yes, my airbag service light came on in my 2005

Customer Question

yes, my airbag service light came on in my 2005 avalanche. should I take this vehicle to a gm repair shop or can a certified mechanic perform this task?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
When the Service Air Bag light comes on, this is a problem in the Restraint System. Unfortunately, there are dozens of parts/sensors in the system. This can be anything from a problem with an Impact Sensor to a problem with the Seat Belts and anything in between. So, with that said, to answer your question- Yes, a local, certified shop *CAN* handle the job, as long as they have a scan-tool that can read Air Bag System codes. The shop you choose WILL need to retrieve the Air Bag trouble codes to have a starting point for the diagnosis and point them in the direction of where the problem lies. So, again, yes, as long as they have the correct scan-tool and experience with Air Bag systems. Not to mention, a local, reputable shop will always save you money on both parts and labor! Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.