Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LT: I have a 2008 Chevy 2500

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2008 Chevy 2500 HD duramax truck and last summer I was pulling a trailer 600 miles from home and my change fuel filter light came on then 5 min latter it said reduced power and I had to pull off sat there for 5 min and then the truck was fine but still had the check engine light on... Went to a Chevy dealer and they said I got some mud or something in my tank that wasn't fuel replaced the fuel filter and truck was fine for a day. Tried to hook back to the trailer and go home the next day and it happened again. So I had to drive the truck home and leave my trailer. The Chevy dealer at my local town replaced the pressure regulator and enjector pump and truck ran fine all winter and pulled several large loads however this summer I was 500 miles from home and the same problem happened again I made it to my destination by letting the truck rest a few minutes then it would drive another hour no problem. I went to 2 different dealers and a mechanic they all said different stuff one said I had an enjector going bad one said I needed a new pressure regulator and one replaced the fuel filter and said I got water in my tank. However the truck would not pull the trailer home. I left the trailer and drove the truck home again for the second summer in a row. Truck drives amazing with no trailer on.... What is my problem and how do I fix it.... Oh and ps the codes every time say not getting enough pressure.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.i apologize for the delay and I am posting as soon as I saw your question myself.
The biggest cause for low pressure is a faulty fuel injector letting to much fuel through its return or into the engine lowering overall pressure.This puts the vehicle into a limp mode causing this here.
If the fuel injectors were tested at the time the vehicle was acting up and one or more were found to be the fault the affected injectors need replaced.I have had to replace several injectors in the past before for issues like this here and is most common for the fault you have described.
Thanks Pete