GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Express 1500: We have a 1999 chevy conversion. It

Customer Question

We have a 1999 chevy conversion. It won't crank. It turns over but won't crank. Two weeks ago it did the same thing. Towed it to the shop. They replaced the battery. Worked fine. Three days ago did the same thing. Towed it to the shop replaced fuel pump filter and wiring. Now doing the same thing. Suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
will this engine run on starting fluid is sprayed into the throttle body ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. It will not start with starting fluid

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
does it have spark at the spark plug wires where they connect to the spark plugs when cranking it over ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
what is the fuel pressure key ON engine OFF ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

3/4 tank

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
an engine need spark and fuel and compression to run
we need to see which one is missing
a fuel pressure gauge needs to be connected to the test port on the engine and we need to know what the fuel pressure is reading on the fuel pressure test gauge key ON engine OFF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pump just replaced Friday. Pressure steady at 55

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
are the spark plugs soaked with gas ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still waiting for you to respond

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.new expert here as I see Gary has opted out.
Have you tested fuel injector pulses to see if you have constant power on one wire at an injector electrical connector with the key on and the other wire at the same connector if you test this for a ground when cranking over the engine does it have a pulsating ground?
Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not tested this

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you test this and let me know what you come up with here when yr ready.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you explain in details what you want me to do please. Thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,being a 1999 you will have a large wiring connector at the back of the throttle body on the intake.Disconnect it and locate any of the pink wires in it.Turn on the key and see if the pink wires have battery power (at or near 12 volts dc with a test light or multi meter connected to ground.
If you have power then take the multi meter or test light and connect one end to the battery positive and take the other end (test light preferred) and touch any of the other wires in this connector.Crank over the engine and see if the test light blinks rapidly,it may be dim but should blink.
Let me know what you come up with here.one other thing,if the security light is staying on or flashing after you crank the engine over and let go of the key let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The security light has not been blinking. It is a dark and stormy night here, can I do this in the morning and respond?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
No problem.i will wait to hear from you tomorrow.
Thanks Pete