Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevy Silverado: replaced ignition switch on 1999 chevy silverado

Customer Question

replaced ignition switch on 1999 chevy silverado 1500. When I turn the key it turns over but won't stay started.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. Does it start for a few seconds or just turn over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it starts and immediately dies.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
This means the 30 minute relearn procedure for security system needs to be done, here is procedure. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
-
Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the crank position and release it to the run position. Do not shut the key off in the process. The key must remain on for 11 minutes. After 11 minutes, shut the key off and repeat this process 2 more times. After the end of the third time, shut the key off. The engine should now start and run normally the next time it is started.