Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Silverado: I have the same problem with my 2006 Duramax

Customer Question

I have the same problem with my 2006 Duramax diesel as describe to you by others. In hot weather only it will lose prime and not start. It usually takes 10 to 15 pumps for the primer to become stiff and doing this two times to get the engine to start. This has been getting progressively worse over the years. This time I have to prime it every time I go to start the truck. I notice that fuel is leaking from somewhere near that filter after I prime it. Can you tell me where to have the mechanic I will ask to repair this start?
Jp
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry for the long wait
can you see if the fuel leaking is from the top of the fuel filter primer housing or the bottom of the fuel filter area ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like it comes from the top - not sure, by the time I have primed the vehicle there is quite a bit coming from the bottom also
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information
these fuel systems once primed should hold fuel in the filter housing
when they do not and you have to prime them and you see visual fuel from the primer it is loosing its prime and its loosing the prime from where you visually see the fuel leak
its basically loosing its prime similar to you trying to drink a drink with a straw with a hole in it
the problem will be the fuel filter housing itself leaking or the filter itself of the sensor in the bottom of the fuel filter
basically tell the mechanic once that fuel leak you see is fixed you should not have to prime the system after its primed one time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will I always have the problem that I have to prime this vehicle when driving in hot weather?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
no
once that leak is fixed which is causing the fuel system to loose its prime you will not have to prime it to start the truck up
usually the fuel filter and fuel filter housing being replaced corrects this issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary,I am ordering the parts and the work will be done thursday. One other thing I forgot to mention. This only happens on very hot days and another symptom is that if the fuel is below and 1/8th of a tank the truck loses power. Is this related? why does my truck run well on days where the temperature is not very hot?Jim
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
very hard to say why its more so when its hotter
hard to say if the 1/8 fuel the truck looses power is related
right now we know the fuel leaking needs to be fixed
as for it fixing all the issues or not we will not know until the fuel leak is fixed
but the odds are fixing that fuel leak will correct most or all the issues