Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet 2005: We have a 2005 Chevy Express, the oil pressure

Customer Question

We have a 2005 Chevy Express, the oil pressure gauge went all the way down the theirs a clicking noise going. We think the oil pump went out but not sure just wanted to be sure it was before we replaced it. Thank you and I hope your expertise would assist us.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry for the long wait
can you tell me what size engine is in this van ?
does it do this all the time drop to 0 and make the clicking noise ? or all the time ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

4.8, this is the first time theven noise has happend and the first time its reached the orange on the oil pressure gauge

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ram if its reading low or 0 PSI for oil and the oil is full and you hear an engine noise do NOT run this engine anymore
you need to remove the oil pan and inspect the bottom of the pan for a build up of sludge if there is clean it out and the oil pick up if it still does this or there is no sludge in the bottom of the oil pan then the bottom crank bearings need to be all checked to see if they are within spec any that are not will cause this problem and need to be replaced
if the bearing check out within spec or you replace the bearings and its still making noise and reading low or 0 oil PSI then the oil pump needs to be replaced