Edgar
Edgar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22 years General Motors Technician, ASE Master Tech certified
71268010

Chevrolet Cavalier: I have replaced my ignition lock cylinder.

Customer Question

I have replaced my ignition lock cylinder. And my Key still wont go into the locked position. Also noticed I can shift with out depressing the brakes. The old cylender would lock up and get the key stuck in certain positions and not let you go to off or not let you go to on. The new one is still not letting it go to the locked postion.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today, in the fuse box on the left side of the instrument panel there is a fuse called ERLS make sure that fuse is good, if the fuse is good then you have to check the shift lock solenoid circuit connector which is a two wire connector close to the lock cylinder, one wire is pink and the other is brown, there should be power between the two wires, if there is power between the wires your problem is the park lock solenoid, if there is no power you need to check the connection at the shift control in the console and replace the shifter control assembly, also make sure first that you have the correct key code in the lock cylinder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know the key code is correct as I am able to start the car. The old ignition lock would get jammed on a constant bases one day it started with the not going into lock. And it stayed like that for about 2 to 3 weeks. Then it locked in the Locked position and was unable to drive it for a weekend when I finally got the igntion unlocked. The fuel pump went out, and the fuel pump relay. After I got all that replaced decided to finally order the ignition lock. Replaced it last night and starts fine just wont go into the lock position. Also noticed can shift with out using break. When you push down the sifter knob the little actuator under the real goes down. And comes back up I just don't know if it is popping up enough. The fuse is good. I wont be able to test the wiring until later. Do you have any diagrams of the park lock solenoid and shift control? Do you mean the whole shift assembly or is it a little switch under it? I have not taken apart the center console yet.

Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.
They sell the shifter control as an assembly, the little switch does not come separate, the solenoid that goes under the steering column comes separate, I don't have a diagram with me at this moment, I will look for one and as soon as I find it I can send you one
Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.

Hello, here are the diagrams for the park lock solenoid circuit, let me know if you need more help

park lock

btsi

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you also have a diagram of where it is located? I have an idea of where it is but want to be sure

Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of where the park lock is located, the solenoid is with the number 1, the switch is on the shift level which is the shifter in the center console
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been pretty busy and unable to troubleshoot any more lately. But have noticed the kill will turn all the way off on some days and some days it wont. Its very sporadic no real reason behind when it works and when it doesn't. Does that seem more like the solenoid or something in the shifter? Also the shifter does allow to shift with out apply the brake at all.

Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.
That seems more likely to be the shifter causing the problem, make sure the wiring harness is good and if it's good the shifter is the problem