Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Blazer (Mid Size): Tim & thanks in advance for

Customer Question

Hi Tim & thanks in advance for your efforts. I have a 1999 Chevy blazer and recently it over headed, lost power, cut off after I had the system flushed. It wet up everything so I had the ignition wires, plugs and distribute cap and roter replaced. But still the truck will not idol properly. It was tested and three of the cinders are miss firing , two on one side of the engine and one one the other. what would you suggest??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
when you say it got hot...how hot did the engine get?
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The heat gauge did not go the the the highest temp. but anti freeze began to come out from the radiator cap. The car had no history of overheating before the flush. Also the engine runs and rebs well with the PC valve removed but won't idle properly.
did it miss-fire before it overheated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no at all
ok
you need to do a compression test on all cylinders,,
compare the missing cylinders with the compression of the good cylinders..
if the compression is low on the missing ones,,you may have blown the head gaskets when it got hot
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim - Got it ,but would the engine rebs well as it dose if the head gasket was blown. Also, It was tested and three of the cinders are miss firing , two on one side of the engine and one one the other. Is it conceivable that the the head gasket would be compromised in a way that three of the cinders are miss firing , two on one side of the engine and one one the other.
yes,,it is very conceivable if it blew the head gaskets between two cylenders and letting it swap compression with each other
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the explanation. I will have the compression checked and get back to you. Is It also likely that it could be a problem with the gas distribution to the cylinders?
yes,,
it is possible for it to be the fuel injection spider/metering body..but,you need to rule out the head gaskets first sense it has been hot
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Got it Will follow up
ok
let me know
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Update,We were not able to check the compression today But I reviewed you concerns regarding the head gasket with the mechanic and he noted that at no point has their been any signs of anti freeze mixing with the oil causing smoke which is expected when the head gasket is compromised. wHAT'S YOUR TOUGHTS ??Assuming that the problem is the fuel injection spider/metering body how can this be verified ??ThaNKShERMAN
(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
coolant doesnt haf to get in the oil with a blown head gasket..it can just be swapping compression with another cylinder..
thanks