Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

What are the steps to tune the 454 vortex 1998 Chevy

Customer Question

What are the steps to tune the 454 vortex 1998 Chevy Suburban. I've installed New spark plugs and New wires. The firing order on the distributor is (left side) 6,4,2,8 (right side) 5,3,7,1. Now truck runs rough and back fires. HELP PLEASE.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I "adjust" the distributor?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Hello , did you remove the wires one at a time or did you pull them all off at once ? Sounds like you have a wire crossed , which cylinder are you using as cylinder number 1?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Here is the firing order and how the cap should be on and the cylinder locations. This is most likely what will get you fixed up. Hope this information helps copy And paste the link
http://www.mediafire.com/view/atqv3o2rnferded
Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! ūüėČ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using the (front) right first plug hole.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wire order is what I have and the truck still runs very bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is why I believe the distributor is set wrong. How do I change the distributor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
Its not like the older distributors , it learns itself after you put it tdc, if you didn't pull it out it should not be a issue , I sent a offer your way if you wanted to chat live instead of messaging. Lou
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.
so where are we on the truck? did you do the tune up because it ran bad or did it run bad after the tune up?