ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Chevy venture: I am a technician as well and cannot get rid

Customer Question

I am a technician as well and cannot get rid of this power steering whine on my 97 chevy venture. I have replaced multiple pumps, the rack and pinion, and both hose assys. Still whining and somewhat difficult steering.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your problem. How are you bleeding the air out? How many pumps have you tried?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When i first bought the van it had the whine. The previous owner had the pump replaced my a shop, still whining. When i first got it i tried flushing and bleeding, no luck. A year later swapped in a 3.8 out of a buick . New pump for 3.8 motor and new pressure hose, still whining. I assumed rack and pinion. So i changed rack and return line and warrantied the pump again, still whining. Tried bleeding again and added lube gaurd still no help. Does not whine at idle when sitting still only when turning and accelerating
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When i first installed rack and pump together it steered like a Cadillac and quiet as can be while backing out of bay. Then as accelerated away from the shop it was whining again and had weak assist
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 2 years ago.
Does the fluid look foamy or have bubbles in it? What brand of pumps are you using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fluid not foamy , used a napa reman pump most recently
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Really bad when climbing a winding off ramp sounds really loud like its low on fluid
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 2 years ago.
Its not uncommon to have to do more than one pump, at least where I live. I have done 4 pumps on one vehicle in one day before, I was not happy about it, but the 4th one fixed the same issue. I have probably done this 6 times in the last year. All these pumps are junk. Just be sure to use a good bleed procedure, what I do is fill the pump, with the front wheels off the ground turn the steering wheel side to side maybe 20 times, let it set until the fluid looks normal and do it again, do this until the fluid does not get bubbles in it. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea i have to agree about the pumps just being poorly/ half assed rebuilt. What fluid do you recommend?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 2 years ago.
I just use a regular power steering fluid and when done I usually add a conditioner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool thanks
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 2 years ago.
Good luck with it, please be sure to leave a positive rating, thanks