Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevy G20Van: I think the starter switch is broken on my 92

Customer Question

I think the starter switch is broken on my 92 chevy g20 van. Turn key...all lights up, but turn to start and nothing. I crawl under and can start by touchiing solonoid contacts with screwdriver. (It's getting old quickly) I have a bypass start-button but can't figure out which wires to attach to it so I can use that instead of taking steering column lock assembly apart. Can you give me Specific instructions on how to wite this push button?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry your having this problem
are you down on the bottom of the steering column at the ignition switch right next to the high beam low beam clicker switch ?
when you see the ignition switch it will be just like this here circled in red
when you find that there should be a purple wire and a red wire in the same connector
can you make sure the red wire is 12 volts ?
it should be
if it is if you jump that red 12 volts to the purple wire will the starter crank over ?
if so then the push button should just have 2 wires off it connect one wire to the red wire and the other to the purple then every time you push the bottom it should make the starter crank
cut and paste this link for the picture of the switch
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B44D0F00649BC959!1026&authkey=!ALs6Qpb3MDioJ-Q&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg