Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

What if the engine does not start? when I turn the ignition

Customer Question

What if the engine does not start? when I turn the ignition the engine starts for a moment backfires and dies out.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
what is the year make AND MODEL?
WHAT ENGINE DO YOU HAVE?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1999 chevy express 1500 5.7 liter engine and I have put a fuel pump and fuel filter and it will start for a few seconds then backfire and engine will die.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is all. I can't start the van.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to help me or not.
ok..tell me,,,does the security light stay on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does the security light have to do with my engine not starting. Are you a mechanic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are not giving me any answers.
ok
it has everything to do with it.
so the security light doesnt come on at all?..it should come on for a few seconds when you first turn the key on,then go off,,and,,it doesnt stay on with the key on,,correct?
[please give me time to respond,it is a little slower on this end.thanks]
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just frustrated because I can't get it started. Yes it goes on when I first turn on the key, but it doesn't stay on after that.
ok
i know you have installed a new fuelpump,,can you tell me how much fuel pressure you have now?.why did you install the pump?tell me what originally happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the engine wouldn't start it would turn and backfire once in a while. A mechanic told me it was the fuel pump so I replaced it and the fuel filter as well.
so,,you replaced the pump without checking the fuel pressure first??.
tell me,,will it start with a prime[starting fluid or a little fuel into the throttle body]?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will start for a little while and then die.
now,,tell me,,does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer trouble codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you later. Some came up and I can't stay online.
ok
just let me know when you can..i will answer and give you my thoughts when i am back on line
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well send me your thoughts and I will be back on line later on today. Thank you
here is my thoughts[without codes] first,you need to check the fuel pressure,,these must have no less than 60psi at all times,,it is common to get a bad new pump..
also,your problem may just be the distributer cap,these will go bad on the inside where they are wormed and there is no good way to test them,,replace the distributer cap and rotor if the pressure is good
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.