Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2005 Chevy Impalla - both headlights will not turn on, only

Customer Question

2005 Chevy Impalla - both headlights will not turn on, only the parking lights. The switch iss pulled out and the car started. On my Buick it had a fuse for RH and LH headlam, but can not find a headlamp fuse for the impalla.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry for the long wait
testing the 2 orange wires at either front head light assembly do they both show 12 volts at those wires ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It dose not appear to be getting current to the headlights, both the old ones an new do not light up only the partking light

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Bob if none of the orange wires show 12 volts the 2 fuses you need to check are in the upper fuse box under the hood called DRL/EXT LTS 15 amp and EXT LTS 10 amp
see if those fuses are blown if they are replace them
if they are NOT blown see if they show 12 volts at them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

New twist, the bright lights work but not the low beam. This was the case earlier, that only the low beem dont work. Did replace the fuses as you stated earlier

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok if you click on and off the high beams to low beams will the low beams work at all ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No low beams only high beams and parking lights

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Bob if both orange wires show 12 volts at both headlights and just the low beams do not work then the odds are the dimmer high beam low beam clicker is causing this problem
replacing the dimmer switch in the steering column should correct this issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a new switch on order, if this works I will complete the survey

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok Bob let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You were correct the dimmer switch on the collum is bad, purchased a new one. I was told that it was not nessassary to pull the air bag and wheel, and others said it must be pulled. Do you have any advice on replacing the switch. I have never pulled a air bag, and have been in assemby plants when they have blown sending the tech's flying out of the vehicle. These are the factory repair guys that do this daily, HELP!!!!!

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
see if you can get the upper and lower steering column cover plastic off or out of the way to access the switch
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if you can then you can change the switch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was able to remove the lower, the top is not so easy, any ideas?

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if you got the lower off you should be able to get the top one off or be able to get it loose enough to move it out of the way
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We are getting closer, the switch has been installed and we have bright lights. The problem is no dim's when I switch back from brights we have no headlights? I am stumped

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
No low beams ?if no Low beams do the orange wires show 12 volts at them at the low beam bulbs ?if so then can you see if when the low beams are supposed to be on if the dark blue wire at the low beams show a good ground with the car on and the low beams set to on ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No voltage to orange wire, and both headlights are new. Where do I start back tracking the no power issue.

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
are you sure both orange wires for both low beams bulbs do NOT show 12 volts ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
can you check and see if the 2 fuses called DRL/EXT LTS and EXT LTS are NOT blown in the under hood top fuse box are blown ?if they are not do they show 12 volts at those 2 fuses ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fuses are good using a meter, but no voltage

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the passenger side high beam works ?