Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: Ron, when driving home today i

Customer Question

Hi Ron, when driving home today i noticed that my Chevrolet Silverado 1500 year 2000 automatic transmission. was not shifting into low gear going up steep hills. After stopping at the store I noticed that I had lost reverse, and first gear. Fluids are good. I had the transmission replaced by the dealer about 50,000 miles ago. What do you think?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Ron doesn't seem to be available right now so let me see if I can help. In your 4L60E transmission there is a reverse shell that breaks at the hub. This will cause a loss of first gear and reverse. If the rest of the trans parts are good it should just need a new shell and you will be good to go because it normally will not do any other damage if you don't drive it too much. But the trans has to come apart to replace that shell so the labor will be a majority of the repair.