Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevrolet Blazer 4x4 (Mid Size): I have a 2000 blazer 4.3

Customer Question

hi I have a 2000 blazer 4.3 I was driving yesterday on the expressway and every so often the motor would start to feel rough almost like a misfire and I would get a bad smell from the exhaust and the engine light would continue to flash. this happened in the past and it would pretty much immediately clear up and run smooth this time it didnt i had a computer put on it recently and it said a misfire possibly the maf sensor or the cat conv. when I exited and slowed down it was running real rough almost like it was going to stall but it didn't it was jumping between 400 and 600 rpms I changed the plugs and cleaned the maf and unplugged it while it was running and it didn't change I sprayed the wires with water while it was running but didn't see any spark anywhere so I think they are fine so I am not sure where to look next
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
i know you have already replaced the plugs,but,do a complete tune up,replace the distributer cap,rotor and the plug wires,,always do a complete tune up all at once,any of these ignition parts can give a fit and there is no good way to test them.
with that being said,if it continues after the tune up,the flashing engine light happens because of a continuous missfire,,most times from the tune up,but can be caused by a clogged catalyst converter..
have a mufler shop to test the catalyst
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.