Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Chevrolet S10 4x2: I have a 96 s-10 I recently replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 96 s-10 I recently replaced the fuel pump and she ran like a champ for 2 weeks. Then the iregular idle kicked in one day. It doesn't effect my performance at all but brake pressure varies with the idle. The check engine light came on as well. Could it be a sensor?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. Your S10 is equipped with OBD-II; every time the Check Engine Light comes on while the engine is running, the computer generates and stores a corresponding code. This means you can drive your truck to any major parts store and they'll scan the computer for you free of charge (beware; they'll try to sell you something - just remember those folk's job is to sell parts, not fix cars). Once you tell me what those codes are, I'll have a better idea on how to best help you fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have another question. I will get my rig scoped today. But i recently bought a fuel pump from the US and i installed it all good, but the gasket didnt fit, is there any product i could use to seal it?
If you're referring to the big O-ring, then the answer is no; there are no sealers that will take that shape. On the other hand, most large auto parts stores sell a kit that includes the strainer that you might be able to use. Click here to see example from O'Reillys.NOTE: when you take your truck to the auto parts store, don't ask them to scope it. Ask them to scan it instead. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey man, i have a friend with a computer and i ran it through my rig. Idle air control valve was running higher than expected. the code read P05007. I have read that you can clean them. If not where can i locate this bad boy?
You can try cleaning the IAC valve, but most times you'll end up replacing it. We don't have the 1.8L engine here in the US, but I'm sure that valve is available from any major auto parts retailer in Canada. Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply so we can keep working.
Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey Juan, i replaced my idle air control valve and the same rough idle exists, and the check engine light is on with the same code reading.
At this point I really don't know how to help you. I'll opt out and re-open the question so other experts can chime in. Please don't reply until another expert responds or the site will revert the question back to me. Best Regards.