Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Malibu: I have a 99 malibu 3.1 it idles high . Was

Customer Question

I have a 99 malibu 3.1 it idles high . Was told it has a vac leak but cant find any leak. When the engine is cut off and then back on it idles fine but drive a short distance and ifles fast agsin .
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
are there any codes being set ?
how did you check for vacuum leaks ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Code set p0507. Just a visual insp of vac hoses etc.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
when its at idle and idling high make sure the throttle body butter fly is physically closed and also at idle carefully with a can of carb cleaner with the plastic hose on the spray can spraying around the throttle body or upper intake manifold make no difference in the idle ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. If no difference then what do I try?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if there are NO vacuum leaks and the throttle is physically closing on the throttle stop then the odds are the IAC valve itself is bad causing this problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so when I turn the engine off and start it back the idle is fine and the butterfly is then closing. If it is dirty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened immediatly upon installing new air filter.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
is there anything stuck in the throttle body or the air cleaner hose ? no pinched wires at all ?
the air cleaner duct work to the throttle body is tight ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing stuck or pinched. There is a hard plastic tube from air cleaner to rear valve cover and the nip doesnt fit tightly in VC could this be a vac leak?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
no that is just for fresh air
if nothing is holding open the butterfly when its doing this if its not see if anything got into the MAF sensor clean it out with carb cleaner real good and see if that corrects this issue
if not the only thing left is the IAC causing this issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Gary thanks . Iwill try those remedies.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
anytime
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !