BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Malibu Classic LT: If your real, it would be very

Customer Question

If your real, it would be very helpful to get a CORRECT answer to my problem. I have been serching the internet for several days. I have a 2012 chevy malibu and the front left speaker does not work and all chimes either. It is not the speaker. It does work purfectly when the humidity reaches 27% or lower.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Before we begin I would like to assure you I am a real person. To answer your question, there are a few things that can cause this. First off, the left front speaker is not only used for the radio, but it is also used for the warning chimes. The radio receives data from the body control module that tells it to send warning chime signals from that speaker. Most of the time the problem is not the speaker. It is typically caused by either the circuit to the speaker or the radio itself. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the stereo, wiring and circuits checked by an automotive electrical specialist with no answers other than problem "may be" in the stereo or on board computer. I have read a TON of same reports and not only the Malibu, but several different models. I called the GM customer service and they said there is "no other complaints other than yours". VERY HARD TO BELIEVE, just do a search yourself!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just think that since all the chimes for "critical problems" sound through the stereo, that these should be concidered as a "safety issue" and this is a known problem since 2003, there should be a recall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have the $$$ to have it done by dealer, 1***-**-****.00 depending on where i go, so if there is a self fix, i can handle it, having a very good mechanicalind and automotive experience years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did find this thread/post this morning, but I did replace the speaker and problem still existed off and on:Bro it most definitely is the speakers themselves. I test speakers all the time and when i went to test and see if these speakers worked I found that they do not respond at all. The only time they do work is when the temperature of the speaker is above 80 degrees fahrenheit.
Report Abuse
0 0 Reply
Josh Aten Oct 14, 2011
Hey guys I did a little research on why these speakers don't work and I didn't see the obvious right away so if your that set on using these stock speakers I will tell you how to fix them. The reason that they dont work is because the speaker coil wire is not complete therfore there is no ciruit. When it is really warm out the coil heats up and expands and electrity or signal is able to reach the tiny bit that they are not touching. If you put some kind of copper or speaker ire in between the little bit where they are not touching or pull the wire of and reglue so that they are touching this will work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? FYI...... I just bought a new set of front speakers and it still is not working.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back with me. I also mentioned to you that this is almost never the speaker. Most of the time it is the radio. If it were the module you would still get sound from the speaker when the radio is on. I have also seen the wiring to the speaker fail. It can get pinched under the kick panel or have issues with water intrusion. I would inspect the wiring first. If the wiring is fine then replace the radio. If you do this it should take care of the problem. If you had a scan tool that communicates with the BCM then you could cycle the chime and test the circuit, but without one you need to visually check it first.