Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Chev impala: 07 chev impala wont build any brake pedal pressure

Customer Question

07 chev impala wont build any brake pedal pressure after installing new calipers??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, the most common issue is installing the new calipers on the wrong sides - they fit either side but are actually side specific for correct bleeder screw replacement.
Look at the calipers you installed. Are the bleeder screws below or above the brake hose to caliper connection?
If they are below, then you have them on the wrong side. When the bleeders are below the connection, there is always an air bubble at top caliper that will never bleed out. Swap sides with the calipers and bleed them and you are good to go.
IF the bleeders are correct, let me know and we will go from there
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no that's not the problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, does it have ABS?
Did the master cylinder go dry at any point during the repair?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, I will go with the assumption it does have ABS and the master cylinder did indeed go dry. When this happens, it has to be bled with a scan tool to activate the ABS motors so it bleeds out the air trapped in it.
There is a workaround that is successful about 75% of the time.
You will need to use jacks and or jackstands to get all 4 wheels off the ground securely. crank engine and put in gear and accelerate to about 20mph and repeatedly slam on the brakes. Repeat about 10 times. This normally activates the ABS motors. Now with the engine idling, rebleed the brakes at all the wheels. Test pedal. If good, then good to go.
If not, then we need to recheck the work to make sure no hoses are twisted, that pads and calipers and rotors are not cocked at an angle. Repair as needed.
If ok, then will will need to do a brake line clamp test. Use vise grips and lightly clamp each rubber brake hose at the 4 wheels about 1/2 up the rubber brake hoses.
Test the pedal. It should be high and firm. If it still drops to the floor, then air in the ABS system and at this point will REQUIRE scan tool computer bleeding.
If firm, then starting at rear, remove one vise grip at a time and retest pedal. At whichever one you remove the vise grip and pedal drops to the floor, that is your problem area - either defective caliper, pads positioned incorrectly, caliper cocked, or rotor cocked at angle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we received this car at our shop after the customer replaced his own front pads. yes the master went dry. will your method mentioned work? sure hope so here we go thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lets finish up tomorrow thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
It works about 75% of the time. If it doesnt and the rest checks out, then it will need to be bled with scan tool, Tech2 comparable. Most Snap Ons, OTC scan tools can do this if you have one.
I will be here all day tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are going to try the scan tool method again. it did nothing the first time we tried thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have a solas pro
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
the solous pro should do it. If not, then time for the brake line clamp test
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks