Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Chevy 1500: my 2001 1500 2wd 5.3 v8 after warm up stops and

Customer Question

my 2001 1500 2wd 5.3 v8 after warm up stops and starts fine then misses,then misses bad,then dies and wont start.couple hours later it starts,misses,then misses bad,then all of a sudden it runs ok.happened 3 times over the past month.i am thinking fuel pump but hate to replace it if its something simple.thanks for any help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
does it always run well when cold?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi tim,i got near 300,000 miles,the light comes on sometimes.i cant do codes.truck usually runs good when when cold.today after it wouldn't start I left it set for 2 hours,started it,it missed some[I was trying to get it home],then missed bad,then all of a sudden it ran good and I drove it home fine.now it starts everytime.
ok
it would be good to scan the computer to get the codes,,without the codes i will give you my thoughts
you do need to test the fuel pressure,,these must have no less than 55psi at all times,it is possible for the fuel-pump to be getting weak.
but,sense it seems to only happen when it is warm,,the problem may be the crank sensor,these crank sensors will do this when they go bad and most times not give a code for it,when the crank sensor does this,testing it may not help,it will need to be replaced[if it hasnt had a tune upin a while,please do so,new plugs and wires,these wires can give a fit]
thanks
Parts Information OEM Part # Price
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
12560228 $99.18
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
Replace Crankshaft Position Sensor
B 0.9 1.2
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/no5yetws7sxfixu/0520-01-chevy-1500-Parts%20Information.doc?dl=0
.
if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way
thanks
.
www.dropbox.com/s/no5yetws7sxfixu/0520-01-chevy-1500-Parts%20Information.doc?dl=0
.
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help