Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet Colorado LS: ,I just purchased a 2006 chevy

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2006 chevy colorado with the 2.8L vortec. The truck drove fine for about 25 days then just died out and couldnt get it to start. I hooked up OBD2 scan reader and said throttle body etc so just installed a brand new throttle body yesterday and truck still wont start. The passlock icon is illuminted when first turning the key to on and will go out after trying to start. I have tried several relearn/bybass procedures for passlock relearn and nothing. The engine light is also staying on continuous
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.i apologize for any delay.
This doesn't sound like the theft system is engaged as the pass lock light would have stayed on or flashed if this was the case here.one common component I have seen fail and cause this here is the fuel pump itself.I have had to replace the pump several times before for this issue.Even if you hear the fuel pump hum or buzz the first few seconds the key is turned on it may not be producing enough fuel pressure.I would have the fuel pressure tested to see if the fuel pump is the cause here and the fuel pump replaced if found low or no pressure at all.
If this was checked already and found o.k. Let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,Thanks for your reply. When I hooked up to the code reader it was only throwing code P2119, then some others which I apologize I don't remember which ones, but they were all related to Throttle body. No humming bussing etc coming from the fuel pump which was going to be my next area of attack. The passcode icon was steady lit on dash along with engine light with key in on position which led me to beleive it was passcode. I did the reset excercise several times try to start, leave key on position for 11 mins, then off for 30 secs and repeat 4 times or more to get the passcode light to go off. just want to be sure I am not throwing even more money at it if the pump isn't the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and when I pushed a screwdriver into the bleeder valve at the fuel rail there was no pressure and no fuel present at all.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.
This sounds like the common fault of the fuel pump itself,if it was the theft system the pump would have still produced fuel pressure the only thing would have been the fuel injectors would not have allowed fuel into the engine and since you don't hear the pump and no pressure at the fuel rail this isn't a theft issue and does sound like the pump itself is the cause.
One way to be sure is to test the power and ground at the pump.There should be a gray wire and a black wire at the pump at the top of the fuel tank.The gray wire should have power (at or near 12 volts DC) with the key on for the first 2 seconds the key is switched on and the black wire should have a ground at all times.If you have power and ground at the pump and no fuel pressure the pump needs replaced.
The check engine and theft light will come on with the key on and should turn off once the engine starts and is normal.
Thanks Pete