BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2008 chev Silverado 1500 and the service airbag

Customer Question

hi
I have a 2008 chev Silverado 1500 and the service airbag light is on. where is the sensor located and what can I do to fix this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the light is on right when you start the truck or does it come on while driving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I start the truck the light comes on.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. One last question. Did this come on out of nowhere or was something done to the vehicle and then it came on? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOTHING WAS DONE TO THE VEHICLE. NO ACCIDENT, NO WORK. BUT I THINK I GOT A NEW BATTERY RIGHT AROUND THE TIME THIS STARTED?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. A loss of voltage can cause this light to come on, and it can also occur if the battery cables were arced at any time during the replacement. That may also just be a coincidence and t can be a failing part. The most common part that causes this is the clock spring in the steering column. I would try reseting it first. Remove both battery cables and while they are away from the battery touch them together for about 30 seconds. Then install the positive and then the negative. If t returns you will need to scan the Air Bag module for codes otherwise you might change a part that does not need replacing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have tried that already. Did not work.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Then there is something that is definitely causing the module to set the light. It is more than likely what I mentioned. Do you have access to a scan tool that reads air bag codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
You would need to have this done to prevent from installing and parts that you do not need. See if you can have an auto parts store or a place like AAMCO read the code. Both of them will usually do it for free. If you have this done and bring me the codes I can tell you what needs to be done.