Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic LS: Have a 2002 Silverado

Customer Question

Have a 2002 Silverado 1500 LS, when I let off the gas, the truck dies and the check engine light doesn't come on. It was a long shot, but took the battery and alternator in to get it checked and they are both good.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Well, the computer doesn't know everything. For instance, it doesn't know if the fuel filter is clogged. I don't even think it knows what the fuel pressure is. You took a shot and suspected something electrical. You could be right, it could be the ignition but I suspect the fuel system. First thing to do is check if the computer may have picked something up at all and stored the code in it's memory, so just about every name brand auto-parts stores will check the codes for free. Write them down if any and give them to me. You might as well pickup a fuel filter while you are there and put that on. If it continues to die when you let your foot off the gas, try having the fuel injectors cleaned and then if it still does it, I would do a complete tune-up. Sometimes that knocks out any problem without even knowing what it was.
You might want to save the parts, too especially the spark plugs so I can look at them or you can tell me if they smell like gas, are covered in oil or gas, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took it in, fuel pressure was below 10 psi, so it ended up being the fuel pump
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Great