AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Chevrolet Malibu LS: 06 Malibu. Compressor isn't on, won't

Customer Question

06 Malibu. Compressor isn't on, won't come on. Tried to add freon but won't take any
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome!
Thank you for requesting me!
How are you adding freon to the system?
Have you checked the level of freon in the AC system? If so, how?
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Had it evacuated and recharged. Low pressure is sky high, so I am thinking it needs a compressor. Pressure switch is working as designed as a fail safe.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Brian,
It is very possible that the AC compressor is bad. Just be sure to check for restrictions in the AC compressor is getting power before you replace it.
Customer
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. When I manually engaged compressor vehicle would shut off. I replaced compressor, when manually engaged, doesn't shut off, but engine dies down in Roma and compressor doesn't stay on. One compressor replaced new and replaced block. What now

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Brian,
Will the engine remain running if you pickup the engine rpms?
Have you checked for AC restrictions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What restrictions should I look for. Debris in the block. How would you check the drier

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Your supposed to run the AC and look for a big tempature change in the lines. However, sine the engine won't stay running, you would just have to remove each component one by one and check for a restriction by blowing through it manually.
Or you could remove the belt to see If the engine remains running with the belt removed. This won't pinpoint restriction but it will tell you if the AC system is causing the engine to stall out.
Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No temperature change in the lines, engine runs but ac compressor won't engage. When I bypass the pressure switch and jump engine dies down, but compressor won't stay engaged. I will blow out lines and change the block and see

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.
Brian,
Try jumping power to the AC compressor and see if the AC compressor kicks in..
Let me know.